SoundComedians.com Forum Index SoundComedians.com
Classic Comedians of the Sound Era

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming book on the Bowery Boys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoundComedians.com Forum Index -> The Bowery Boys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
booklover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Upcoming book on the Bowery Boys Reply with quote

I belong to a Bowery Boys fan site...we just got this message about an upcoming book on the boys. Should be fascinating reading:

> HiMy name is Rich Roat and i have been collecting movie mat on the
> Dead End Kids, from the year 1964 when i was 12 years old.In my
many
> years of collecting i have been able to meet or talk to the
following
> people-Billy Halop-Huntz Hall-Leo Gorcey-Bernard Punsly-Gabe Dell-
> David Gorcey-Billy Benedict-Stanley Clements-Harris Berger-Bennie
> Bartlett-Bill Lawrence-Dick Chandlee-Frankie Thomas-Eugene Francis-
> Mendie Koenig-Johnny Duncan-Pepe Hern-Joe Turkel-Gary Hall (son of
> Huntz)-Brandy Gorcey (Dau.of Leo)David Gorcey Jr. and David Gorcey
> 111-Leo Gorcey Jr.- David Durand- Frank Coghlan-Sidney Miller-
Jackie
> Cooper-Sheldon Leonard-Mike Mazurki-Pamela Blake-Dan Seymour-
Frankie
> Darro-Martin Kosleck-Lionel Stander-Bill Cartledge,(Boxer in
Fighting
> Fools)-John Kellogg-Alan Napier-Adele Jergens-Richard Benedict-
Craig
> Stevens-John Bromfield-Conrad Brooks, (he's nuts)Amanda Blake and
> many more.Two years ago i started writing a book on the Dead End
> Kids/Little tough Guys/East Side Kids and Bowery Boys-why did i do
> this-well because both of the books that have been done before mine
> did not tell the whole story on the kids- i am not saying mine is
> better-just a little different, my book will be out sometime at the
> end of the year- it is called------ --------- ---
>
> Hollywoods Made-To-Order-
> Punks The Complete Film
> History
> Of The Dead End
> Kids The little Tough
> Guys East Side
> kids
> And Bowery
Boys
> The forwards for the book were done by Mendie Koenig and Brandy
> Gorcey, the book will also have more than 40 cast bios and will
have
> about 290 photos.Please pass this along to the other members in the
> club-will answer any ? one may have if i can.Thanks Rich
JLNeib

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the third Bowery Boys study. I am familiar with Richard Roat as a collector/expert on the series and would like to read his book. Who is publishing it?
booklover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLNeib wrote:
This will be the third Bowery Boys study. I am familiar with Richard Roat as a collector/expert on the series and would like to read his book. Who is publishing it?

He doesn't say. The only information I have is what I posted. Should be a fascinating read. I'm especially interested in what he has to say about Bennie Bartlett. He's my favorite secondary gang member and there was very little biographical information about him, until now. I'm curious as to why he left the series, his feelings about the series and being a member, and why he kept such a low profile in his later years. Even the other gang members didn't know what became of him. Should also be interesting to read about David Gorcey, because I heard from a few reliable sources that he was very bitter about the way his film career turned out.
JLNeib

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booklover wrote:
JLNeib wrote:

He doesn't say. The only information I have is what I posted. Should be a fascinating read. I'm especially interested in what he has to say about Bennie Bartlett. He's my favorite secondary gang member and there was very little biographical information about him, until now. I'm curious as to why he left the series, his feelings about the series and being a member, and why he kept such a low profile in his later years. Even the other gang members didn't know what became of him. Should also be interesting to read about David Gorcey, because I heard from a few reliable sources that he was very bitter about the way his film career turned out.

I talked to David years ago. He was bitter when Leo left the act abruptly without giving the others a chance to put something together, but stayed with them throughout the Stanley Clements years. He did not appear to hold any grudge and was happy with what he'd done. He seemed happier with his post-film career.

Bennie Bartlett was a musician and did some interesting things before the East Side Kids/Bowery Boys (Swing You Swingers, Great Man Votes). He was an insurance salesman after he left movies and went by his real first name (which wasn't Bennie, but I forgot what it is).

Roat has offered research help on many projects but I know of nothing he has ever written himself. It will be interesting to see what this is all about.

JN
booklover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to David years ago. He was bitter when Leo left the act abruptly without giving the others a chance to put something together, but stayed with them throughout the Stanley Clements years. He did not appear to hold any grudge and was happy with what he'd done. He seemed happier with his post-film career.

That's good to know. But I talked to somebody who knew David and said that he was in fact bitter. Maybe he mellowed over time, or maybe this person just caught David on a bad day.

Bennie Bartlett was a musician and did some interesting things before the East Side Kids/Bowery Boys (Swing You Swingers, Great Man Votes). He was an insurance salesman after he left movies and went by his real first name (which wasn't Bennie, but I forgot what it is).

I believe it was Floyd. Yes, Bennie was a child prodigy and even a published song writer (would love to know what he wrote). He also worked with some great directors like Capra (Meet John Doe) and Hitchcock (Rear Window). So I'm curious as to why he left the series and the entertainment business.
booklover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="booklover"]I talked to David years ago. He was bitter when Leo left the act abruptly without giving the others a chance to put something together, but stayed with them throughout the Stanley Clements years. He did not appear to hold any grudge and was happy with what he'd done. He seemed happier with his post-film career.

Didn't David also have a drinking problem which he (fortunately) was able to overcome? I would also like to know if the halfway house he worked at still exists...I woud love to make a contribution in his memory. The person I spoke too also said that David had a terrific sense of humor. He knew David in the early 1970's.
I met somebody on-line who claimed that Bennie was her grandfather, but I think she was just yanking my chain. She claims that a few years before he died, he was selected by SAG to vote on movies for awards, which I find very hard to believe, since he was long retired from show business by that point.
JLNeib

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Gorcey Jr was available for a while but I don't think he is anymore. Leo Jr is very accessible online so he might be able to fill in gaps about David.

As far as Bennie Bartlett is concerned, I have to think that when you spend the last five years of your career doing popular movies where you are on screen a lot but have maybe six to eight words of dialog in the entire feature, it is time to call it quits and do something else.

JN
booklover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JLNeib"]David Gorcey Jr was available for a while but I don't think he is anymore. Leo Jr is very accessible online so he might be able to fill in gaps about David.

Yes, I spoke with Leo Jr. Great guy. He said he didn't know David very well because David and Leo Sr. weren't very close. He did say that David was a very good person.

As far as Bennie Bartlett is concerned, I have to think that when you spend the last five years of your career doing popular movies where you are on screen a lot but have maybe six to eight words of dialog in the entire feature, it is time to call it quits and do something else.

That's what I figured. I'm glad that he was able to find another career.
JLNeib

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo Jr is a really nice guy. I seem to recall him telling me that his sister Brandy was close to David towards the end. I used to have Brandy's email but don't think I do anymore. Leo could give it to you, though. She's really nice too.
FatClown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Leo Gorcey,Jr.'s website is not online right now. Reply with quote

Dear Jim,

unfortuneatly?

Mr.Leo Gorcey,Jr.'s website is not online

right now.

His e mailing is available..wheather or not

Mr.Gorcey is available to provide info about his

famous father and the other"Dead End/East Side Kids"

and"The Bowery Boys"..is unknown at this time?

Fat Clown.
booklover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my copy arrived at my p.o. box yesterday, and I was so excited, I couldn't wait to get home to read it. I actually read most of it at the post office! I assure you, you will not be disappointed with this book. It's fantastic. What to know what the secondary members did after they left the series? It's here. Want terrific photos of the boys? It's here. Want behind the scenes information on the making of the movies? It's here. Want to learn little known but fascinating facts about the boys? It's here. Want to know what the critics wrote about the films when they were released? It's here. A monumental acheivement that was obviously a labor of love, so everybody show Richard your support, not just because he's our friend, but because he has written an outstanding book about the DEK/BB that will never be equaled...if your a fan, you can not be without this book.
JLNeib

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booklover wrote:
Well, my copy arrived at my p.o. box yesterday, and I was so excited, I couldn't wait to get home to read it. I actually read most of it at the post office! I assure you, you will not be disappointed with this book. It's fantastic. What to know what the secondary members did after they left the series? It's here. Want terrific photos of the boys? It's here. Want behind the scenes information on the making of the movies? It's here. Want to learn little known but fascinating facts about the boys? It's here. Want to know what the critics wrote about the films when they were released? It's here. A monumental acheivement that was obviously a labor of love, so everybody show Richard your support, not just because he's our friend, but because he has written an outstanding book about the DEK/BB that will never be equaled...if your a fan, you can not be without this book.

Well that sounds wonderful. I would love to read about the making of the pictures and the period reviews (I know the public loved them).

Roat has been working on this project since the 70s. Glad to see it is finally out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoundComedians.com Forum Index -> The Bowery Boys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: